Recipients of The Golden Puffin 2005-2018
RIFF – Reykjavík International Film Festival – is one of the biggest and most diverse cultural events in Iceland. For eleven days every fall since 2004, Icelandic locals and tourists alike are able to go to the cinema and enjoy the best and freshest of international film making.
Over the years we have screened many beautiful and artistic films at the RIFF festival. It is up to our Festival Programming Team to choose which films will take part at the festival each time. Some of them will get the change to win some of our amazing awards that are handed out to those who are thought to have broken barriers and shown artistic excellence. The most acclaimed award of the festival is The Golden Puffin, which is handed out to a film in the category New Visions and will be named Discovery of the Year.
These are the winnig films since the beginning of RIFF.
- 2005 The Death of Mr. Lazarescu or Moartea domnului Lazarescu by Cristi Puiu
- 2006 Grbavica by Jasmila Zbanic.
- 2007 Iska’s Journey by Csaba Bollók
- 2008 Tulpan by Segey Dvortsevoy
- 2009 I Killed My Mother by Xavier Dolan
- 2010 Le quattro Volte by Michelangelo Frammartino
- 2011 Eldfjall by Rúnar Rúnarsson
- 2012 Beasts Of The Southern Wild by Benh Zeitlin
- 2013 Still Life by Uberto Pasolini
- 2014 Smetto quando voglio by Sidney Sibilia – Italia
- 2015 Wednesday May 9 by Vahid Jalilvand
- 2016 Godless or Bezbog by Ralitza Petrova
- 2017 The Rider by Chloé Zhao
- 2018 Knife+Heart by Yann Gonzales